One of the greatest benefits of our salvation is hearing God speak to us. There can be no intimate relationship with our heavenly father without it. God does not only want us to talk to him in prayers, but he wants to speak to us too while we listen. Communication is only complete when we hear back from our father.
Adam and Eve enjoyed this exchange of communication with God while in the Garden of Eden. “They heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day (Genesis 3:8). This is how God wants to relate with us today as well. It is God’s desire to walk and communicate with His children.
What am I going to do with the rest of my life? What school should I go to? Should I take this job or is there something better on the horizon? Whom should I marry? God is always ready to answer and lead us towards making the best decision among the never-ending choices in life.
Below are seven (7) keys to hearing God’s voice:
- Acknowledge God (Proverbs 3:6): One of the primary criteria for receiving divine direction is divine acknowledgment. God will go all out to lead you if you reverence Him by asking for His leading, and you are sincerely ready to make His perfect will yours.
- Expect to hear from God (Proverbs 23:18, James 4:3): God will not disappoint the expectations of the righteous. James 4:3 teaches us that we do not receive because we have not asked. Elijah persisted in His presence until God spoke to him (1 Kings 9:12). Mary Magdalene persisted until her faith attracted Jesus to her (even though Jesus had not ascended to the Father), her faith and persistency to see her savior caused Jesus to appear to her (John 20:11-18).
- Believe that God Speaks (Hebrews 11:6): God made us in His own image and likeness (Genesis 1:27), if we can speak, how much more God our creator. According to James 1:6-7, he that is of double mind cannot receive anything from the Lord.
- Ask to hear God (John 16:24): The word of God says, you have not received because you have not asked. The Bible promises we shall receive anything we ask in His name (John 14:14).
- Holiness (Matthew 5:8): Sin repels God. Righteous living, on the other hand, attracts divine presence. The Bible tells us that Blessed are those that are pure in heart for they shall see God.
- Release Yourself (Hebrews 3:15, Acts 7:51, 28:23-24): A stony-hearted person might not receive from God. Being in an isolated or quiet place will also aid and widen our spiritual antenna to receive from the Lord.
- Ensure your Heart is free of idol(s) (Rom 1:27-29): God might not speak to you when you have already made up your mind on what you want irrespective of what God says.
To Be Continued!!!